Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 17:51:40 -0700
From:      Peter J Jones <p@dancris.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: undefined reference to

Anton Berezin wrote:

> Peter J Jones <p@dancris.com> writes:
>
> >     I have been trying to figure this one out for a couple of days
> > now and wanted some help! I just upgraded from 2.2.6-RELEASE to
> > 3.1-RELEASE and have a few problems that I am working on. My biggest
> > is compiling Perl 5.005_02. This is what I get after compile during
> > linking...
>
> Have you actually _done_ the upgrade?  The reason why I am asking this
> is because 5.005_02 _is_ a standard Perl on 3.1, so if you've upgraded
> successfully, 5.005_02 should be available to you as /usr/bin/perl.

Yes the upgrade is done and I do have 5.005_02 in /usr/bin but wanted to
change lib dirs to  /usr/local/lib/perl and compile with Threads. I
could
just as well use /usr/bin/perl because that is the version that I want
but now I want to know why it won't build. I don't like the fact that I
get these linker errors.

> How did you do the upgrade?

sysinstall

> What are you doing when you are getting those errors?  Building world?
> Compiling just Perl?

Compiling Perl 5.005_002 From CPAN

> > Please Help, I need Perl soon...
>
> What Perl are you trying to compile?  Is it the distribution of
> 5.005_02 from CPAN?

yes

> Please tell us more, there are normally not so many problems with
> Perl.

I know, Perl has never given me a problem in the past on any OS. If I
can't come to a conclusion about what is happening what will I do when
it
is time to upgrade Perl?

Thanks...