Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2013 00:34:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marco Steinbach <coco@executive-computing.de>
To:        R Skinner <rocky@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port submission issues - sendmail setup

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013, R Skinner wrote:

> This has been a real fiasco to send one around the bend.
>
> I'm trying to quickly submit a port and I used the send-pr this time and
> attached my shar as opposed to using the web form, except my sendmail is
> being rejected because it is a firewalled host and can't be found.
>
> So I spent several hours trying to get my head around sendmail and the
> security involved and setup the 'smart host' option. Eventually this worked,
> and sent to my mail gateway which is postfix.
>
> I then checked the pr list - still not there. So I checked the mailq on the
> gateway and it still says its looking for the firewalled host! Arrrgh!
>
> I'm not up to speed on sendmail at all, so can someone tell what potion I've
> got to pour into this thing so the send-pr will work correctly without
> opening any security flaws or access outside of 127.0.0.1?
>
> Cheers
> (Please cc - thx)

I am using jails created using sysutils/ezjail for fiddling with my
ports.  Inside these jails, I then use mail/nullmailer as a sendmail
replacement, which logs on to my external mailserver, and simply drops
the pr there just as if I'd use let's say alpine for sending mail.  No
sendmail SASL or other fiddling involved.

I can detail my setup off-list, if you think my way of tackling this is
an option for your port.  Really boils down to just a few steps.

MfG CoCo