Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 07:31:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        tom@tomqnx.com (Tom Torrance at home)
Cc:        osa@unibest.ru, tom@tomqnx.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named question

In a previous message, Tom Torrance at home said:

> > >   ^^^^^^
> > > Maybe search tomqnx.com ???
> >
> > Search is ok too, but search implies a list of more than one domain.
> > search and domain override each other, which ever comes last is
> > used. The first domain in the search list is set as the 'default domain'
> >
> It is definitely a named problem/feature, I believe. The DNS is local,
> and search is set to "search tomqnx.com com". If I ping darkstar.tomqnx.com

Why do you want to have com in a search path, it seems silly and unnessary.
I'd just go with
domain tomqnx.com

> which is a real computer, no dial is forced. If I ping "news", which is
> not defined, a dial is forced to ask the forwarders for the address of
> news.com (eliminate this with the search command).

Actually, this is what you are asking it to do. With the search command
you're asking it to look for hosts in the tomqnx.com domain and if you
can't find it there, search in the com domain. Since you aren't authoritative
for the com domain, it has to talk to some that does.

Using domain instead of search, would solve your problem and remove the
necessity of your faking addresses from your other email.

--
"They gave me a book of checks.  They didn't ask for any deposits."
-- Congressman Joe Early (D-Mass) at a press conference to answer