Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2019 10:53:00 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?T=c4=b3l_Coosemans?= <tijl@FreeBSD.org>, Diane Bruce <db@db.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeCAD 0.17 && /lib//libgcc_s.so.1

On 2/21/19 10:05 AM, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 10:16:04 -0500 Diane Bruce <db@db.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 06:35:52PM -0700, Russell L. Carter wrote:
>>> So I must dig deeper.  Perhaps with rpaths interacting with the system
>>> paths?
>>
>> You got it. ;)
>> Except python doesn't have an rpath which is why this keeps coming
>> up over and over again.
>
> Maybe we should just add the gcc rpaths to the python ports LDFLAGS
> without depending on gcc.  Then python should use gcc libgcc_s when
> it exists and fall back to base system libgcc_s when it doesn't.
>
> Maybe we should compile *all* ports with gcc rpaths without depending
> on gcc, just like we already compile everything with -fstack-protector
> in LDFLAGS.

I would like to briefly present the perspective from a user's POV.
There is a large world wide population of scientific custom code
users/coders who run on linux boxes in a wide variety of
configurations.  Almost none of that code will ever have a chance of
ending up in /usr/ports, although there is nothing technically
challenging about almost any of it (the porting process that is).  So
anytime any of those users wants to try running their non-ported
scientific code, a large fraction of which contains python and/or
gfortan code, they are going to hit the libgcc_s issue.  Only a few of
those people understand rpaths as well as I do (and I'm no expert),
because it's never been their job.  They probably struggle to figure
out what question to ask, because, "libgcc_s?  WTF?, this is python!"
In addition, oftentimes people have sometimes big pipelines of
different programs executing.  So writing a shell script wrapper
around each and every one of those custom programs... not going to
happen.  libmap.conf(5)?  Not going to happen.  Linux works out of the
box.

People like Steve Kargl and me are... puzzled at why FreeBSD would
do this to itself.  Having people writing and running custom
opensource software on a performant opensource OS is **good**.  We
should be enabling them.

Back in the day some of us injected FreeBSD into chunks of NASA and
Sandia, for instance, on the strength of its networking performance.
I would have been laughed out onto the street if I had said well um we
have make a custom shell script wrapper for most of our programs just
to get them to run, because this awesome not-linux OS is so advanced?

Just my 2¢.

Best regards,
Russell