Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:55:23 -0700
From:      Cory Petkovsek <cory@adaptableit.com>
To:        "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPL: implications for FreeBSD-on-hardware for sale?

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 05:15:15PM +0930, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For a certain niche market, I am considering selling a software
> application by pre-installing it on a small machine running FreeBSD,
> and then selling the whole thing.  Are there any implications arising
> from the GPL (or other more-restrictive-than-BSD licensed) code in the
> tree?
You are allowed to charge for GPL software.  Look at redhat, suse, etc.  What
the GPL requires is that any GPL software you distribute, you must provide the
source code and the same rights you have under the GPL (get source, modify,
redistribute).

> Would it be arguable that I was, in fact, selling only the
> hardware and my own software application, and giving away the (GPL-
> and BSD-licensed) open source software for free?
You don't need to argue.  You can sell your own GPL software for $500, but you
need to provide the GPLed source and the redistrib/modify rights.

Your own proprietary binaries you can distribute along side the GPL and BSD
code, provided you don't have GPL code within your programs.  It can all be
bundled together as long as you have licensing, copyrights and required source
as part of the package (or possibly available, but not part of the package).

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to Your