Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:49:12 -0400
From:      Ju Ichi <freebsd-security@ichi.net>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Administrivia: Discussion - Making this list subscriber-only

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 6:27 pm, Mark Murray wrote:
> Blaming individuals is not what I'm after.

Fair enough.

> OK - If you see a question, please reduce the question to its most
> general form, and supply both the question and the answer to the
> DOCS folks for committing.
>
> See what I mean? :-)

Sure thing.

> > One other thing, (and not to stir anything up, but) do you mean FAQs from
the
> > list?  If so, that should mean that people ask questions on the list.
> > Correct?  :-)
>
> Any question that is asked more than once and that annoys you (joke!)
> is an FAQ. Useful non-security FAQ's can be handed over to the DOCs folks
> for safekeeping :-).

I know what you mean.

I've been involved in Usenet for quite a while and got into running local news
servers in the mid-1990s.  These sort of problems are the same whether it is
on Usenet or in mailing lists.  It's a matter of educating people as much as
you can and realizing there will still be people who don't/can't read.  :-)

As I believe someone else already suggested, a weekly or monthly automated
message to the list that sets out guidelines may be a good idea.  IMHO, most
peole mean well, they just don't know.  The first thing though is to figure
out what is acceptable to the majority of the active list members and get it
in a short, readable format.  If there are things that *must* not be sent to
this list then document them.  If there are things that just *should* not be
sent to the list then document them that way as well.  Then fight your major
battles over the things that have been documented as "*must* not happen".
See what I mean?

Ju