Date:      Fri, 12 May 95 12:54:26 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil (william pechter ILEX)
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Subject:   Re: helping

> > If you are truly into commercial gain, you might want to start a BSD
> > Journal.  The guy who runs the Linux Journal is doing better than
> > all right, and there is the potential for a larger number of commercial
> > advertisers, since BSDI is technically a BSD as well.
>
> The problem with BSD journal is (*I've considered it*) there's nowhere the
> number of current users/subscribers or the amount of commercial programs
> for the non-BSDI audience.  Actually, I've been waiting for them to
> get someone to write BSDI Journal or BSDI Professional... for their own
> customers.

Actually, the irrelevance of the ads is not an issue -- the ads will
typically be for packages that "also support BSDI" rather than packages
"specifically for BSDI".

The point would be delivering hard-core engineers to your advertisers
as an audience for ads that may not result in BSD related purchases
(look at the Usenix, hardware, and other ads in Linux Journal).

I think you'll find that the number of BSD users across all camps (you
include Ultrix, Gould, Pyramid, OSF/1, and SunOS as "BSD" systems if
you want to get down to it -- the people who would be using the three
namesake systems on their home machines) is larger than the number of
Linux users when the Linux Journal was started, even if you only
include BSDI, NetBSD, and FreeBSD.

I wish I has more time to do stuff like starting a real BSD consortium
or a journal, or writing 7 or 8 books.  I think any of them could
succeed profitably.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---