Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 1999 10:51:33 +0300
From:      "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question regarding 3.1-stable and drifting time clock.

I've expirienced  same behavor with 2 new 3.2-S boxes. last is
4th June installed from ukrainian ftp. I'm sure its not a hardware.
This is pieces from dmesg. Both are accurate for CPUs we have:

Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
Timecounter "TSC"  frequency 90040066 Hz

Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
Timecounter "TSC"  frequency 74539404 Hz

And as far as I realized there is still no workeround?
Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Oliver Stockhammer wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> >       I am running 3.1-stable on a Pentium 90.  I get a wicked time
> > drift, something like 5 minutes fast every hour.  It is not my bios clock
> > as that is keeping correct time (it is set to UTC).
>
> You too, eh?  When you boot up, you should get a line like:
>
> Timecounter "TSC"  frequency 100228262 Hz
>
> What does it report for the freq?
>
> Something is up with the 3.X TSC calibration and it causes timewarping
> clocks.
>
>  I am running xntpd to
> > attempt to stop this and it is locally synching to another FBSD box which
> > is keeping accurate time.  I have run tzsetup and set it to UTC as well
> > with EDT as the timezone.
> >       When xntpd starts up it seems to be fine:
> >
> > Jun  2 16:10:37 ary xntpd[106]: xntpd version=3.4e (beta multicast);
> > Mon Feb 15 10:12:13 GMT 1999 (1)
> > Jun  2 16:10:37 ary xntpd[106]: tickadj = 5, tick = 10000,
> > tvu_maxslew = 495
> >
> >       But upon inspection of the time about an hour later, the clock has
> > drifted again 5 minutes fast and continues to drift about 5 minutes/hour.
> >       There is no other logging in /var/log/messages from xntpd after
> > starting it.
>
> xntpd can slew it only so much.  I'm trying xntpd on another problem box
> but I'm not sure it can keep up.
>
> >       If I restart the machine and check the bios it is correctly set to
> > UTC and the accurate time.  Is this a bug with 3.1-stable or am I missing
> > something?
>
> I'm not sure if this is due to flaky PC hardware or if it's an actual bug.
> Our P90 thinks it's a P87.5.  I think I'll enter a PR on it to get the
> ball rolling.
>
> Doug White
> Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | www.freebsd.org

WBW  Andy V. Oleynik  (When U work in virtual office
                       U have good chance to obtain virtual money ö%-)