Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:55:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   rexec documentation/compatibility question

Hi,

   With respect to the rexec() function: From 'man 3 rexec' on a
-current system I find:

SYNOPSIS
     int
     rexec(char **ahost, int inport, char *user, char *passwd, char *cmd,
             int *fd2p)

DESCRIPTION
     This interface is obsoleted by rcmd(3).  It is available from the compat-
     ibility library, libcompat.

   However, I don't see how rcmd() can be used to replace rexec()
since rcmd() is a root/rresvport mechanism, as where rexec() is
a .netrc mechanism.

   In looking at the rcmd() src, I don't see where any rexec()
functionality has been added (/usr/src/lib/libc/net/rcmd.c).

   Could someone with information on how these functions relate
to each other point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
John