Date:      Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:05:44 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        linimon@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/112544: [acpi] [patch] Add High Precision Event Timer Driver for userland timer facility

On Thursday 28 February 2008 09:00:46 pm linimon@freebsd.org wrote:
> Synopsis: [acpi] [patch] Add High Precision Event Timer Driver for userland
timer facility

> State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> State-Changed-By: linimon
> State-Changed-When: Fri Feb 29 01:57:50 UTC 2008
> State-Changed-Why:
> To jhb: there seems to have been a commit, then an MFC to RELENG_6 via
> 1.1.4.1 on Jan 23 2008.  Is there some reason this one needs to remain
> open?

The HPET contains multiple bits.  One is a general count down timer that we
use for timekeeping.  In addition it contains a variable number of comparator
registers each of which can be used to generate interrupts at varying
frequencies (or one-shot interrupts, etc.).  The current in-kernel HPET
support only handles the count down timer.  We do not have any support for
the comparators.  The code in the PR does include support for the
comparators.  However, it's aim is to export them for use by userland
drivers.  FreeBSD will probably end up using the HPET comparators to back
deadline-style clock interrupts in place of the RTC or lapic timer at some
point in which case certain pieces of this code may be useful.

The commit I made just extracted a few of the changes in the original patch,
it did not contain all of the changes in the patch.  It is probably best to
mark this as suspended and leave it as freebsd-acpi@ for now as I'm not
currently planning on doing the deadline clock stuff.

--
John Baldwin