Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:16:05 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Owen G <owen_pg@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, mh983@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: defining dependencies for ports

Owen G wrote:

>You are aware that there exists
>1. ports = source = must be compiled = "make install" (as above)
>2. packages = executable packages = precompiled = "pkgadd -r . . ."

Whilst your description of ports and packages is correct...

>So unless you're running a custom kernel, there's no advantage of ports
>over packages.

...this is not.

Ports are useful :

   1) For any package with multiple compile-time options (e.g. apache)
where *you* want to choose those options rather than be stuck with the
ones the *package* was compiled with (c.f. Linux rpms)

   2) If you want to be as up-to-date as possible - packages take time
to pre-compile and can lag the ports tree a little

   3) If require the source code (for maintaining local patches; because
another port or some other local software needs it)

I'm not aware that a custom kernel has any relevance whatsoever.
Perhaps you meant "unless you have used some cpu-specific compile flag
in make.conf" but I don't think even that would make a difference.

Also, ports and packages are managed much more easily with a tool like
portupgrade or portmanager.  I prefer the former because it has never
core-dumped on me, and feels more robust and well maintained.

If you have multiple machines you keep in sync, then portupgrade -p or
pkg_create -b can be used to create local packages with *your*
compile-time options that other local machines can use.

--Alex