Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:34:10 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@os.org.za>
Cc:        Gary Palmer <Gary.Palmer@RCN.COM>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail

> >POP Before SMTP, Authenticated SMTP and limiting access to your own
> >netblocks are the only ``secure'' methods of denying
> >relaying. Unfortunately, authenticated SMTP (by far the best solution)
> >isn't all that widespread yet, and I don't know any freeware programs
> >that come with AuthSMTP built in. Sendmail doesn't have it yet,
> >although Eric says it will be in the next rev (I believe)
>
> Is it likely that you will ever see something like this built-in ?
> I ask because there are so many different POP3 servers

Doesn't matter - AuthSMTP is not the same thing as POP before SMTP.
AuthSMTP is where you authenticate directly to the SMTP server
rather than popping first and requires support from the mail client.
I think Netscape and Outlook do this but it's still not too
widespread. Another alternative is to check for a 'password' in
the HELO which in many cases is easier to set (for example on
Windows you would just put it into the domain name box in tcp/ip
dns config).