Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 14:44:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   gcc's bad results on Celeron 500 running 3.3 RELEASE

Greetings:

I am running FreeBSD 3.3 RELEASE on a brand new Intel Celeron 500 mhz
PC, as well on a much older Pentium 133 mhz PC.

When compiling and running a mathematically intensive program in C on
the Celeron 500 using both the gcc 2.7.2.3 that came with Release 3.3,
and with the gcc 2.95.2 that I installed, I consistently get wrong
results (I am #including <math.h> and linking in the math library with
-lm).

Compiling the same code in -verbose mode on the old 133 Pentium gives
identical (except for the names of the temporary files in /var/tmp)
verbose output to stderr, and when the binary is run it gives correct
results.

Compiling and running the same code on the three remote multi-user
machines (two SPARCS and a PC running Solaris) under various releases
of gcc where I have shell access and compilation privileges, yields
correct results.

Booting the Celeron 500 under Windows NT and compiling and running the
code with a commercial (MSVC 6.0) compiler gives me correct results.

Running a program of a similar nature (xephem 4.28) pre-compiled as a
package for FreeBSD 3.1 on the two machines gives me identical (and
correct) results.

Is this a gcc problem, or a FreeBSD 3.3 problem?

Is there anything I can do about it?

Is it fixed in FreeBSD 4.0 Release?

Thanks,

Ken Seggerman