Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 12:07:48 +0100
From:      Burhan Nazir <burhan@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KMail or Evolution??

Nathan Mace wrote:

> Just wondering what everyone out there uses as mail client.  I realize
> that there are more than just those 2 email clients, but i was wondering
> what you thought of them.

For me stability and speed is a huge factor in deciding mail clients.

I have tried both KMail and Evolution for some time.  In my humble opinion,
Evolution is a nice product with good possibilities, however for the moment,
it is a huge resource hog.  Despite the hype, it is no where near as stable
as it should be to considered for serious business use.  Many times when I
close the client down, rougue proceses remain eating up cpu cycles.  It
relies on gnome and therefore is slow when banging out emails.  However, it
does have some good enterprise features.  In time, i'm sure this software
will mature to be a decent client.

KMail on the other hand is leaner and faster.  However still not stable
enough for me to feel comfortable to trust it with my mail.  It too has good
features, but will need to be go through a few more iterations before I begin
to use it.

> I've been a loyal Kmail user for years, but just today switched to
> Evolution to see what all the hype was about.  I'll need to use it for
> awhile before I decide for sure, but so far I really like it.  If you
> haven't tried it since it hit 1.0 give it a shot.  It's been really
> stable for me, and has quite a few features that Kmail lacks

For now, I'm sticking with MUTT.  It has everything i need, stability, speed,
features(IMAP, PGP).  I can bang out mail in seconds, use integrated ispell
to spell check, and use tab completion for address lookups.  Granted, it's
difficult to learn and it will not display HTML with graphics, but I don't
really want that.  And untill the above two clients improve on stability and
speed, I'm sticking with mutt.

-Burhan

--
FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p4 | http://www.freebsd.org
11:49AM  up 2 days, 21:20, 6 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.03, 0.05