Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:15:13 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   solving a problem

I'm looking for the best method of tackling problems such as this one.
The actual solution is not so important. (This is on 3.2-STABLE)

After uninstalling an old version and reinstalling plan-1.7.2 I get:
 /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libXp.so.6" not found
I have no way of knowing what that is or where to get it.

With locate I see that the only similarly named file is libXp.so.6.2
but I have no way of knowing what that file is or where it came from.

Checking the package dependencies, I find that there is one, xpm-3.4k
which is installed, but xpm-3.4k doesn't seem to supply any file with
the name I'm looking for.

I grabbed the latest version, plan-1.8.2.tgz, and tried again with
the same results.

Thanks in advance for answers to any of these questions:
 Were these steps appropriate or not?
 What steps should follow?
 What is the range of problems that this method can apply to?
 If I'm missing some essential background knowledge, where can I find it?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-