Date:      Sun, 05 May 2002 23:06:05 -0400
From:      Chuck McCrobie <mccrobie@cablespeed.com>
To:        dak <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Implementing a new FS with loadable modules

dak wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm making my own file system (just for fun and to understand how it works) and I want to implement it
> in a module.
>
> Can anybody points me to a skeleton code which regroups code to mount and everything the system needs
> to 'understand' my module ?
> I've already looked at 'ntfs' module and others but I don't realy understand the way to follow to make
> a module that works :/
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -- dak

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-fs" in the body of the message

I don't remember there being anything specific about making a module vs.
statically linking to the kernel.  I have the following in my ODS2 file
system implementation:

VFS_SET(ods2_vfsops, ods2, VFCF_READONLY);

And the Makefile:

KMOD=   ods2
.include <bsd.kmod.mk>

And I get an ods2.ko which can be kldload'ed either manually from the
command line or from a "mount_ods2" mount utility.

If you like, I can send you the source for ODS-2.  I haven't tried it
recently, but it did work under 3.x, 4.x upto 4.5.

I would agree with what Terry Lambert said about no "skeleton" file
system - any file system you would do involves more of the on-disk
structure management than anything else - there's very little to
skeleton-ize.

Chuck McCrobie
­