Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 1999 19:41:56 +0000
From:      Erik Umenofer <eriku@silcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X11 and networking:Apps don't start when resolv.conf is present

When I erase /etc/resolv.conf Quake, Netscape, Icq and other networking
apps load instantly. (but don't work of course since they need ot be
able to resolv hostnames)

When I use resolv.conf and have valid nameservers (i've tried about 5 or
6) These apps take about 1-2 minutes before loading.

I've narrowed it down to this.

THe apps (Quake, Netscape, Icq and other networking apps) Must use
something to resolv an hostname. It must be timeing out on it.

When they load they must lookup a hostname like my machines hostname or
something.

I have my machine set as firebelly.net (firebelly.net is setup on a
remote machine which is down now) If you lookup firebelly.net it's not
on my machine becaseu I have a modem and dynamic IP. I think these apps
are trying to look up locahost as firebelly.net, but since firebelly.net
in realaity is down (my friends box who host's firebelly) these apps
have to timeout the lookup before loading.

My computer is not a network or anything, So my buddy hosts all of
firebelly.net's www,ftp and all the other stuff. When his machine was up
and running, you could lookup firebelly.net and resolv it. All ym apps
worked fine then. Now that his is dead and firebelly.net doesn't resolve
all my apps are having problems.

See a connection?

(takes a breath)

How can I make my system not lookup this hostname??

Or am I screwed.

erik