Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 1995 00:17:45 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        smmcgee@ncbc.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SATAN ported??

In message <199504041700.RAA28295@localhost>, Sean McGee writes:
>Not in my optimistic point of view! It was designed to "find" your security
>holes so that you can "plug" them.  After all, the acronym stands for Security
>Administrator Tool for Analyzing Networks, not Some Assinine Tool for
>Attacking Networks.  If some wannabe hacker happens to rewrite the code
> - then yes, it can be used to attack, but then what about guns when you
>apply them to the same reasoning ??

You don't need to re-write the code to use SATAN for attack - it's how it
works. Most traditional publically available scanners (cops, etc)
have been internal scanners, i.e. run on the machine you want to check.
SATAN is a tool which I can run on my box here in the UK (well, if I had
more memory perhaps) and use it to scan ncbc.edu's security. It
does this by going through similar steps that a hacker would, except
one hell of a lot faster.

It may have been designed to find holes in a system, but sensible
system setups (e.g. having a very rich text root password, careful control
of NFS exports, etc) will do far more for system security than SATAN ever
could.

Gary