Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:48:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Jean-Louis Thirot <thirot@univ-brest.fr>
Subject:   Re: FW: Re: TkWine setup under FreeBSD

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Conrad Sabatier wrote:

> The following is a message I sent to the author of "TkWine", a nice tool
> for downloading, configuring, building. installing and running Wine, which
> unfortunately, doesn't work on FreeBSD!
>
> I'm really not knowledgeable enough to provide the information he requested
> in response, so I thought this might be a good place to ask.  :-)
>
> I've Cc'ed this message to the author, to include him in any discussion
> that arises.  He seems genuinely interested in getting this thing to work
> under FreeBSD.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Conrad

He's asking how to get the number of processors in a FreeBSD
system.  If he must know this then he can take the output of:

`sysctl -n hw.ncpu`

that will give him the number of CPUs in a FreeBSD box.

If he has any other questions, or you wish to post a URL to
his program I can show him other ways of getting this system dependant
information from FreeBSD.

i think the uname he wants from freebsd is:

uname -srm

which on my box is:

FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT i386

(this is the experimental version of freebsd, akin to the odd numbered
kernel releases of linux)

on a non-developemental version he should expect
FreeBSD 3.[0-9](\.[0-9])?-STABLE i386

meaning 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.2.1

i think he should really just grab the output of "uname"
which is "FreeBSD"  most freebsd systems behave the same way.

-Alfred