Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:42:17 -0400
From:      Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
To:        "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cleanout & rebuild of /dev on -current

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 09:50:52PM -0700, John W. De Boskey wrote:
>    So, what would the correct sequence be to wipeout
> /dev and recreate it? (create /dev in an alternate
> location and compare the two...??)

After mergemastering, and if /dev/MAKEDEV gets updated, I usually just
do an 'sh MAKEDEV all', then use 'ls -lt' which will list all the old
and non-standard devices at the bottom of the listing for easy
identification.  Then I selectively MAKEDEV the ones I still need,
i.e., you may then need to selectly MAKEDEV devices such as da4 and
higher, vn0, ccd0, etc if you use those.  I think Doug mentioned that
it won't re-create your disk slices.  I always do that manually for
the disk where the root filesystem is located.

With a little scripting, all of this could be automated.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
bsd@FreeBSD.org