Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:43:06 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        Marty Landman <martster@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to dual boot

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:31:11 -0500
Marty Landman <martster@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get a dual boot system set up with FBSD 5.3 and Win XP
> sp1. First I installed FBSD using 15GB of the HD, then installed XP
> on the remaining 5GB. However now it boots up XP automatically. I can
> get back to the FBSD installer by booting from the 5.3 CD but what do
> I do to provide a choice of which to boot right on the HD?

You could try the following:

0. Understand that life is risk management; and that I offer no
guarantees/warranties regarding the following advice. Continue at your
own risk.

1. Boot from the installation CD.

2. When you get to the sysinstall Main Menu, select Index.

3. Select the Partition module.

4. DO NOT delete any partitions.

5. Set the FreeBSD and NTFS partitions as bootable.

6. Write your changes.

7. When given the option, install the FreeBSD boot loader (which
Windows erased during installation).

8. Back out of the sysinstall menus and quit.

9. Reboot, remove the CD and see what happens.

Good luck,

Andrew Gould