Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:38:35 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the advantages of ELF kernels?

Terry Lambert wrote:
> It's also a pity that ELF objects generated on a 3.0 system won't
> be usable on a 3.1 (or later, if things go as slow as they have been,
> lately) system, since binutils 2.9.1 made a gratuitous change in
> the object file layout.  Too bad FreeBSD didn't go to 2.9.1 and skip
> over the bad format entirely, but whatever.

We shipped binutils 2.9.1 with 3.0-RELEASE. We upgraded not long before
3.0-RELEASE was due. The upgrade caused compatibility problems on
alpha, but obviously wasn't noticed on i386.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137