Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:33:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        pstephan@cs.cmu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA ethernet setup

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 pstephan@cs.cmu.edu wrote:

> I've recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 on my ThinkPad 560, and now I'm
> trying to get the network interfaces set up properly.  I have been running
> ppp over a PCMCIA modem successfully for some time now, but I need to
> add support for ethernet access to my local LAN.  I have a 3Com 3C589D
> PCMCIA ethernet card installed in the machine, and pccardd seems to
> recognize it properly as device ep0.

okay.  I'd suggest installing the PAO distribution from
http://www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO/ to add some extra functionality.

> I'd like to be able to use the ethernet card in three different situations.
> First, I'd like to be able to use it as the only network interface on the
> machine to access a stand-alone LAN (of about 5 nodes).  In this case I assume
> that I need the following set in my rc.conf file:

[setup info]

>   router_enable="YES"

Flip this to 'NO'; routed tends to screw up everything. :)

> 	  network_interfaces="lo0 ep0"
> or should I leave out 'ep0'?

Leave it out; the pccard_ifconfig option takes care of running ifconfig
aginst the card at insertion time.

> Second, I'd like to be able to use the ethernet card to access the local
> LAN while using ppp to access the rest of the Internet.  For this I need
> to allow two different IP addresses - the one on my LAN and the one assigned
> dynamically by my ISP.  I guess that I can define one in the ifconfig_ep0
> line of rc.conf, and ppp will negotiate the other with the ISP, but will
> this all work together?

You'll need to add a net route for the LAN and anything else that's
directly reachable that way, then set the PPP link as the default.

> Will I need to statically define the other nodes in my LAN?

No.

> Finally, I'd like to be able to use the ethernet card to connect directly
> to a real ethernet drop on a live network when one is available.  Same
> questions about when/how the interface gets configured apply here.  I guess
> that in this scenario I'll need to set defaultrouter to the gateway as well.

Set the default route as your router in this case.