Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 12:41:27 +0300
From:      "Victor Ponomarev" <vick@unet.ru>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I need a strategy for making my STABLE installation stable

>On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Benedict Stockebrand wrote:
>
>> "Victor Ponomarev" <vick@unet.ru> writes:
>>
>> > Hardware: [...] Adaptec 2940 Ultra (BIOS 1997),
>> >
>> > [snip]
>> >
>> > 2) I took a old AHA 2940 Ultra from my friend (BIOS 1996) .
>> > Well! All is fine. But I'm not sure that trasfer rate was 20 Mbps on
>> > SCSI bus.
>>
>> Could it be that the old one was a 2940 U but the new one a 2940 AU?
>> IIRC the OpenBSD people had some nasty surprises with that --- the old
>> 2940 U works, but the 2940 AU uses a "simplified" chipset and didn't
>> work with their 2940 U-based drivers.
>>

>I would concur with this. I have a number of 2940U boards that worked
>fine, but I had to shelve an Adaptec 2940AU until the ahc driver was
>updated (in 2.2.5 ?). The 2940AU works great now (2.2.5-RELEASE and
>2.2.5-STABLE).
>
>Chuck

I have 2940U board with BIOS ver. 1.34.  This card by default uses 10Mbps
transfer rate. If I put transfer rate to 20Mbps except problem with
istallation the other problem also appear. If I compile some huge ports or
kernel the SCSI bus hungs up on timeout and system crushed. Sorry I don't
write the died dump by pen.

Are any suggetion?