Date:      Sat, 04 Oct 2003 09:33:04 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        William Labbett <william.labbett@ukonline.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interested but am i compatible?

William Labbett wrote:

>hi all,
>
> i like to try out FreeBSD for various reasons....
>i've got a few questions;
>
>are there HP Printer drivers available and
>also Artec scanner drivers?

Check the hardware compatability list
at www.freebsd.org/handbook ... also
the section on printing.  I imagine that you
can get the printers working without too
much headache.  Dunno about the scanners.

> is there a freeware C/C++ compiler available
>and (less importantly) a freeware
>text editor or C/C++ project IDE ??

Compiler's built in.  Others are available
as packages or ports.  And the whole
OS is freeware --- UNIX and text editors
go hand in hand (line from handbook or
some documentation I think I recall ('you
will find a significant portion of your work
in UNIX will involve editing text files').
I'm not sure about the number or
qualtiy of IDE's but I'm sure that
they are availabe, and someone's
bound to have something pretty nice out
there...

FBSD has "Linux-compatability" mode
as well, so there is just zillions of possible
programs out there...over 9000 programs
that will install automagically via the FBSD
ports tree, for example.

> will it work on on a BrillianX motherboard?

Dunno...again, check the HCL.  Generally speaking,
it ought to, but if it has some unsupported disk controller
or onboard whatever....

5.1 is out and I've been pleased with the strides
made in hardware support since I started FBSD
2.5 years ago.  But, before you rush to install it,
the FreeBSD Foundation hasn't yet got Java working
(last I read on their site) on 5.x, so maybe 4.8/9
would be what you want.

>what kind of modem will i need.
>
>i think i've got a WinModem - Conextant or
>something......

The standard line for years was "no winmodems."
That might have changed.  You might send mail back
to the list with a more specific subject line ... 'interested
but am I compatible' sounds just a tad like responding
to a personal ad ;-)  I just bought a USR serial to use
with FreeBSD.  Never tried dialing up with it before,
so I thought I'd be traditional and "safe".

> thx for any help,
>
>william labbett (william.labbett@ukonline.co.uk)

The HCL is Handbook chapter 2.10, last I checked.

Welcome to FBSD!

Kevin Kinsey