Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:36:36 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>, Chris Costello <chris@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cleaning up section 8 (Re: docs/35011)

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 12:44:29AM +0000, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> Chris Costello <chris@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 16, 2002, Chris Costello wrote:
> > >     Actually, there is a command called `jail'.  However,
> > >  diskless(8) should probably become diskless(7).
> >
> >    Moreover, I propose that we move all non-commands out of
> > section 8:
> >
> > adding_user.8   diskless.8      sticky.8
> > crash.8         picobsd.8       yp.8
> >
> >    I vote that they be moved into section 7 (Miscellaneous
> > Information Manual).  Anybody agree with me?
>
> I agree in general, but please talk to ru before changing yp(8) to
> yp(7); he just recently changed it from yp(4), and perhaps he had a
> reason to choose section 8 over 7 ({Open,Net}BSD compatibility?).

I disagree.  According to intro(8), this section contains information
related to system operation and maintenance.

adding_user(8) - procedure for adding new users
crash(8) - FreeBSD system failures
diskless(8) - booting a system over the network
picobsd(8) - floppy disk based FreeBSD system
sticky(8) - sticky text and append-only directories
yp(8) - description of the YP/NIS system

IMO all these relate to system operation and/or maintenance.  Most
of them also describe real commands.  They fit nicely into this
category.

adding_user: chpass(1) and vipw(8)
crash: dumpcore(8), savedump(8) and gdb(1)
diskless: /etc/rc.diskless1 and /etc/rc.diskless2 (compare to rc(8))
picobsd: customized /etc/rc*
sticky: explains sticky bit on dirs that strongly relates to maintenance
yp: this manual is incomplete; OpenBSD and NetBSD have a more complete one
    with all YP commands referenced in SYNOPSIS

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,