Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 1998 13:03:28 -0600
From:      "Jon E. Kump" <xavier@stlnet.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems linking shared libraries with ld

I am writing some code that I am linking in 11 shared libraries and one
static library.  When ld goes to link the code I get an error from ld.

ld: No reference to __DYNAMIC

This is my make file that i am using.  This program is a little 20 line
example.

CC       = gcc
CFLAGS   = -g -funroll-loops -Wall -pipe -ansi
LDFLAGS  = -Bdynamic
CPPFLAGS =
INCLUDES = -I. -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/include
LIBDIR = -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib
LIBS   = -lXm -lXpm -lXmu -lXt -lXext -lX11 -lXmHTML -lSM -lICE -ljpeg
-lpng -lz -lm
LOADLIBES = $(LIBDIR) $(LIBS)

OBJS = autosize_html.o

all: $(OBJS) autosize_html

autosize_html.o: autosize_html.c
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS) $(INCLUDES) -c $<

autosize_html: $(OBJS)
        ld $(LDFLAGS) $(LOADLIBES) -o autosize_html $(OBJS)

and here is the code

#include <XmHTML/XmHTML.h>

void main(int argc, char **argv)
{
    Widget toplevel;
    XtAppContext app;

    toplevel = XtVaAppInitialize(&app, "Demos", NULL, 0,
            &argc, argv, NULL, NULL);

    /* make sure we may resize ourselves */
    XtVaSetValues(toplevel, XmNallowShellResize, True, NULL);

    /* create a XmHTML widget but this time enable autosizing */
    XtVaCreateManagedWidget("html", xmHTMLWidgetClass, toplevel,
            XmNvalue, "<html><body>An AutoSizing XmHTML
widget.</body></html>",
            XmNresizeWidth, True,
            XmNresizeHeight, True,
            NULL);

    XtRealizeWidget(toplevel);
    XtAppMainLoop(app);
}

Thanks for any help in advance
Jon E. Kump

Please e-mail any response to my address, I don't subscribe to the
mailing list -> xavier@stlnet.com

--
Jon E. Kump              Unix Systems Administrator, Web Programmer,
jkump@stlnet.com         Systems Programmer