Date:      Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:43:56 -0500
From:      "Phil Cryer" <phil@cryer.us>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, ale@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: How to deal with a port that uses /proc in FreeBSD 6.0?

=20
>> http://fak3r.com/articles/2005/09/26/deprecated-proc-and-c-debugging
>>=20
>> Is there a way to use sysctl in place of it?  If so, how can you=20
>>'symlink' an app to use it instead of /proc?

>There is /proc, it just doesn't get mounted by default.  If your
>software really really needs it and you can't patch it to obtain the
>information another way (it sounds like you aren't experienced enough
>to do this, but maybe you could talk to the developers), you can look
>at what other ports like valgrind do to check and report a missing
>procfs.

Kris
Thanks, currently I just manually mount /proc with:

echo "proc /proc procfs rw 0 0" >> /etc/fstab; mount /proc

anytime I need to debug some code, and that works, I was just wondering if =
there was any sort of better/long term solution.  A current open source p=
roject I'm working is written in C, and there's plenty to debug since the=
y devel on Linux only, so I have to run gdb and the like rather often.  J=
ust wondering if this is the best way to deal with this or if there's som=
e "official" way that I don't know about.

Thanks again.

Kris

"You teach best what you most need to learn." - Richard Bach