Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:33:30 +0000
From:      Lanny Baron <beef@tht.net>
To:        "S. Paul" <smp@crl.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install with boot.flp won't make good PPP connection...

S. Paul wrote:

> Im having the same problem. Have you received any helpful information
> yet?
> PPP work's in the older release of FreeBSD I'm running, yet with 2.2.6
> RELEASE I can dial in log on yet ppp will not change to PPP.
> If you come up with a work around please forward to me, I'll reciprocate

        Hello,

    Thank goodness I am not alone in this. I was told by alot of ppl on
#freebsd on efnet that I don't know how to use ppp. Well I say that there
is a problem with the /stand/sysinstall that comes with the boot.bin from
FreeBSD.

    Last night I went with my pc to my ISP. I tried to do PPP from their
office. Same crap. No PPP...only ppp which is no good. I had to use
ethernet connection to download FreeBSD v. 2.2.6. I have it now installed
and am writing this letter with netscape on FreeBSD with a PPP connection
with 2.2.6. I tried for hours with all kinds of  combinations like,
127.0.0.1/0   0.0.0.0  and with ISP's addy as 0. All with no luck. I don't
know what I can tell you except see if you can get an ethernet connection
to download. If not, I think you won't have much choice but to buy the
cdroms or get yourself an eariler verion at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org

    Take care,

    Lanny

    P.S. try going to efnet on irc and to #freebsd .... maybe you will have
better luck than I did. If you do I am BeeF_