Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:32:26 -0700
From:      freebsd@dreamchaser.org
To:        Gary Hartl <ghartl@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Snow in my Server

> Help, I'm in southern Ontario and I have 20cm of snow on my freebsd
> 7-release server.
>
> IT seems to be causeing some http outages.
>
> My FBSD 6-.0 doesn't seem to be affected thou.

You probably can't use a standard 7-release.
You have to build a custom kernel with "LATITUDE" set.
It causes igloo to get built and installed for environments above 46,
should work in both hemispheres.

We don't use igloo but do turn on the snow-fence option for ipfw.
Keeps most of that kind of unwanted traffic out.

BTW, make sure any remote reboots / changes are well tested if you're
running igloo.  Sometimes the whole thing gets buried and it's days before
you can get physical access to do any updates / maintenance.

Gary