Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:03:36 +0200
From:      christoph.hintermueller@fusemail.com
To:        undisclosed-recipients: ;

>From christoph.hintermueller@fusemail.com Fri Jul 16 08:20:37 2004
From: Christoph =?utf-8?q?Hinterm=C3=BCller?= <christoph.hintermueller@fusemail.com>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Install hangs in mfsroot kernel in scsi probing
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:13:52 +0200

Hi
Am Mittwoch, 14. Juli 2004 22:50 schrieb Christoph Hinterm=C3=BCller:
> Hi
> I observe the following strange endless loop when booting from the
> installation floppies on my amd duron system.
>
> 1) booting from kern disk is ok -> i do get till promt asking for mfsro=
ot
> disk 2) continuing with mfsroot disk gets me to promt hit return or wai=
t 10
> sec to boot kernel.
> 3) booting kernel is ok till it prints
>     scsi waiting 15 seconds for scsidevices to settle
>
>     After this 15 seconds i only see a single line or two (cant tell
> exactly) scrolling endlessly repeated over the screen. It semms as if
> probing for for the non existent  scsi harddrives sends the kernel into=
 an
> endless loop.
>
> I have to admit i use the 53c974 scsi controller as a mor advanced and
> extended paralleport for my mustek scsi scanner.

One cause was that my mainboard and processor were allready near death.
So now i'm able to figure out that the error messages want to tell me=20
something about some segfault in some mv_<something> at an address=20
4<something> but the lines still scroll by to fast to make an "offline pr=
int=20
screen" and take them down to post them here in full length.

Iv've downloaded the floppy disk images for i386 and stuffed them onto 3 =
144=20
floppies using dd. The floppies were moved in full length no dd error , a=
ll=20
blocks were copied.

So what to do to get ge arround the segfault.
cu
Chris