Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 19:57:08 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pppd man page

> also if you read the sections on "silent" and "passive" those are
> essentially the same thing but I think the description of passive is wrong

Please don't report bugs (even doc bugs) here since most such traffic
becomes subject to the Somebody Else's Problem effect and the end
result is that nobody commits it and the mail itself is lost in the
mailing list archives and never referred back to again.  The message
might just as well have never been for all the good it ever does.

This unfortunate pessimism on my part is the direct result of past
experience, the problem of bug reports falling through the cracks
becoming so acute that we went and adopted the rather unwieldy GNATs
system as the lesser of two evils.  Sure, PRs can still sometimes sit
unresolved for up to 2 years or more (that being the last
drop-the-ball duration record that I remember :), but they nonetheless
stay open and the GNATs system continues to annoy various people about
that fact throughout the duration.  It's not at all uncommon to see
various folks take periodic it's-really-time-to-clean-the-refridgerator
breaks to go through their assigned PRs and, in the process, clear up
a number of issues which would *never* have been dealt with otherwise.

The PR system is not perfect, but it beats total apathy any day.
Please, file such issues as PRs! :-)

				Jordan

P.S. send-pr(1) or http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html - your choice.