Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:34:36 +0100
From:      Carles =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=F3mez?= Montenegro <carlesgom@terra.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   new kernel doesn't work properly

	Dear sirs,

	I am a telecommunications engineering student from Barcelona, and I
have the following problem (and hope that maybe you could help me).
	I have added some new code to the TCP/IP stack of a FreeBSD 3.2, and
now I'm trying to create a new kernel which would include the upgrades
added.
	I follow the "config, make depend, make, make install" sequence as
specified in Chapter 7 in your freebsd.org handbook, and everything
seems to turn out right.
	Now, the problem is that, after the reboot phase (and entering "login"
& "password"), the new kernel seems to work right (i.e., for a while,
all the commands work ("ls", "ping", "ftp", "ps", etc)), but after one
or two minutes, it hangs. Then, the following message appears on my
screen:

panic: m_copym

syncing disks...

fault virtual address	= 0xb8
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc01625cf
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc02cf060
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc02cf060
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor flags		= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= Idle
interrupt mask		= bio
trap number		= 12
panic: page fault
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds... press a key on the console to abort

	Do you have any idea about which could be the problem or how could I
solve it?

	Thank you very much,

					Carles Gómez Montenegro
					Polytechnic University of Catalonia

PD: previous to this process, I built a new kernel (without any upgrade,
just to test the bulding sequence) and everything worked, so I think
it's me who's the reason of the problem...