Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 1996 03:13:53 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, olah@cs.utwente.nl
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, sos@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard lockout on 2.x.x

>> > So far me too.
>>
>> Søren, time to make it the default?

Time to rewrite the keyboard driver?

>I'm not sure that everyone would like it, because a virtual console
>switch takes now a few 10th's of a second during which the system
>seems to be halted (at least the HD stops grinding).  I'm still

The delay is because ASYNCH is less asynchronous than !ASYNCH.
kbd_cmd() is always called at spltty(), so keyboard interrupts are
blocked, so `kbd_reply' is as nonvolatile as it looks in the ASYNCH
spinloop in kbd_cmd(), so the spinloop always times out.  The
keyboard reply is received and discarded some time later.  Perhaps
this sort of works by waiting for a few thousand times as long as
necessary instead of a few microseconds shorter than necessary.

Bruce