Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:30:35 +1000
From:      Duncan Anker <d.anker@au.darkbluesea.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail: File descriptors missing on startup: stderr; Bad file descriptor

On Friday, Sep 27, 2002, at 23:03 Australia/Brisbane, Dan Langille
wrote:

> I keep seeing this in /var/log/maillog but do not know the cause:
>
>    sendmail[42390]: File descriptors missing on startup: stderr; Bad
>                  file descriptor
>
> I'm on FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #0: Thu Sep 26 09:02:16 EDT 2002 with
> sendmail 8.12.5
>
> Any ideas on cause/fix?

I believe Dan has solved his problem, however I ran into this one
recently and a scour of Google suggested that this can also be caused
by a misbehaving hard drive. So if other folks are seeing this, try an
fsck.

I believe this is the source of my problem, since my disk is bad.
However, the file system is still dirty and I can't take the box
offline to fix it yet, so I don't know if it's just a coincidence.