Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 16:20:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, swaits@pr.erau.edu, questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPX/Netware 4?

> > Or you could license NWU from Novell and port it.
>
> Is this the infamous "portable netware"?  I'd heard that it was an extreme
> crock, but you know how rumours are.  Given the pricing you've listed, it
> would be an _expensive_ extreme crock.

I was personally involved in both the NWU and NUC implementations.

I'll say that NUC was not a happy camper if you were using it on a
multiuser machine as opposed to a single user desktop.  I think you
could fix this by expanding the in core credentials structure and
integrating the directory services login into the UNIX login, but
it would be special case.  NUC is the same NetWare client software
one uses on NeXT machines and UnixWare.

The NWU implementation beat the Native NetWare on identical hardware
up to 128 users.  It started running out of processor at that point
because of particulars of the STREAMS implementation that they would
not let me correct and because of ODI driver latency that they forced
on UnixWare.

One of my fondest memories of my time at Novell is the look that was
on Drew Major's face when we presented our performance graphs and
explained that the higher line was our server when he commented about
the performance being "not quite there yet".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.