Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:49:00 +0800
From:      Jarvis Cochrane <jarvis@guru.wow.aust.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Help with NIS - reposted

Hi,

I'm running two Freebsd 2.2.8 machines as a NIS master (and client of
itself!) and NIS client, respectively.

I would like to set up the second machine, currently the NIS client
only, as a slave master. When I try to start ypserv on the client, it
start ok, and doesn't leave any messages in /var/log/messages or
anything like that.

But, when I do a 'make all' in /var/yp to push the maps to the new slave

master, I get:

rome# make all
Updating passwd.byname...
yppush: transfer of map passwd.byname to server
alexandria.murdoch.edu.au failed
yppush: status returned by ypxfr: Domain not supported by server
Pushed passwd.byname map.
Updating passwd.byuid...
yp_mkdb: duplicate key '0' - skipping
yppush: transfer of map passwd.byuid to server alexandria.murdoch.edu.au

failed
yppush: status returned by ypxfr: Domain not supported by server
Pushed passwd.byuid map.
make: cannot open ../Makefile.
*** Error code 2

Stop.
rome#

(rome is my NIS master, and alexandria is the slave).

I've put alexandria in /var/yp/ypservers and enabled 'push' in
/var/yp/Makefile.

I assume that I need to tell ypserv on alexandria that it is (a) a slave

and (b) that it's master is rome (see the sense in my naming convention?

Rome is the middle of my little empire, and the master of all things!),
but how do I do this?

Thanks for your help in advance, and thanks for a _great_ OS!

Jarvis