Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:58:04 -0500
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, Dan Holliman <danh@gelatinous.com>
Cc:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting 4.2

> > > Hello,
> > > I have installed 4.2 from CD.
> > > Try as I might I could not install it as bootable.
> > > I tried various permutations of installation.
> > > I dedicated the whole hard disk of the PC I was trying it on to BSD.
> > > But I got zip when I booted.
> > > So I installed a minimal linux installation, then BSD and using Lilo,
> lo and behold it booted !
>
> > I am no help but I had the exact same problem.
> > I spent hours agonizing over boot blocks and experimenting
> > with grub to try to get freebsd 4.2 to boot from the disk
> > drive of a PC (I blamed my weird HP Vectra BIOS at the time),
> > then I installed Linux just so I could use LILO, and
> > I was able to boot into freebsd finally.
> >
>Well, yours is the only reply I have had to this problem.
>I posted it on "stable" since that seemed to me to be
>appropriate. Maybe I will repost it on questions; maybe
>I misunderstand what the purpose of the stable list is,
>fundamental installation problems like this surely
>belong there ??
>
>I am not so happy that I have to install one whole OS in
>order to boot another one !

On one end of this, someone else posted earlier today that they'd be
willing to help if provided more details... hopefully you saw that message.

On the other end, you don't have to install Linux just to get a boot
manager.  Take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multi-os/ch2.html
and you'll see a nice list of boot managers.  Booteasy, OS-BS and OS-BSBeta
can all be gotten from FreeBSD (FTP site).  And the best part is they're
EXTREMELY small files, too. As for why a boot manager is needed at all, I
defer to the other gent who offered the help.

--john