Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:06:41 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   precedence of categories

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-categories.html
In section 5.3.3, the Porters Handbook says, under "Choosing the right category",

"Specific categories win over less-specific ones. For instance, an HTML editor
should be listed as www editors, not the other way around."

I have no idea what is meant by "win over" in this context. Does the winner
come first or last? It's not really clear to me that 'www' is any more or less
specific than 'editors'. Editors seems like a broad category that you could
narrow down by constraining it to just those athat apply to the web, and the
software is primarily an editor, so I'd think 'editors' is the more important
category.

The ports I am working on are in 3 categories:

  python, www, textproc

Would that be the right order? Is python more specific than the web? Is text
processing less specific? It seems like I'm being encouraged to decide which
tastes more like chicken. here: bicycling, or happiness. And I feel like an
idiot for not knowing the answer.