Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 01:09:11 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Stephane Legrand <Stephane.Legrand@wanadoo.fr>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bus error with vmstat

Stephane Legrand wrote:

> Each time i try the command "vmstat", i get only a "Bus error" and
> that's all. This is on -current cvsupped at 7th September.

I was just about to report the same thing. I get the same with iostat -
do you get that too?

I compiled with the -g option to gcc, and tried getting something out
of gdb, but I don't know much about it. :-( Here's something if it helps
anyone work out what could be going wrong...

=== root@scientia[p0]:/src/usr.bin/vmstat# gdb vmstat
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.16 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/src/usr.bin/vmstat/vmstat

Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
0x280ab2ba in strcmp ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x280ab2ba in strcmp ()
#1  0x8049063 in getdrivedata (argv=0xefbfdbc0) at vmstat.c:361
#2  0x8048dca in main (argc=1, argv=0xefbfdbbc) at vmstat.c:270
#3  0x8048a0d in _start ()
(gdb) The program is running.  Quit anyway (and kill it)? (y or n) y

--
Ben Smithurst : ben@scientia.demon.co.uk : http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/

PGP: 0x99392F7D - 3D 89 87 42 CE CA 93 4C  68 32 0E D5 36 05 3D 16
     http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/ben/pgp-key.html (or use keyservers)