Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:39:39 +1200
From:      andrew@squiz.co.nz (Andrew McNaughton)
To:        config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dependency control

I run in to a problem when installing new packages using /stand/sysinstall.

I have several things installed on my server which have not been installed
from freebsd packages.  Notably later versions of perl and Apache than came
on the CD.

When I try to add a package which depends on these, sysinstall wants to
install the older version, without warning me what it's going to try to
install.

Perhaps after selecting packages to install, when asked to confirm,
packages which the selected packages depend on should also be confirmed?
They should at least be displayed.

I guess problems could arise where packages are not compatible with later
versions of packages they depend on, so just being able to deselect them
could be messy, and there should be a warning if this is made possible.

Is there a way that I can make my system recognise that these packages are
not required?

Andrew McNaughton

Andrew McNaughton  andrew@squiz.co.nz  http://www.newsroom.co.nz

Some of you know what the Perl slogan on Windows is, ... "It's a
good thing there's more than one way to do it, because most of them
don't work."            -- Larry Wall