Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 22:01:31 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How To Recreate /var Files?

"Mikko Tyolajarvi" <mikko@dynas.se> wrote in message
news:200110050004.f9504fk85972@mikko.rsa.com...
> In local.freebsd.questions you write:
>
> >In my on-going quest to master FreeBSD, I have made another big
mistake.  :)
> >I was trying to move /var to /usr/var but have only succeeded in
deleting
> >/var.  It's a new install so all I really want to do is recreate
the default
> >directory structure that is included in a normal install.  I have
source
> >code on the system.  What is the way I can do this short of
reinstalling
> >everything?
>
> Try something like:
>
>  # cd /var
>  # mtree -uf /etc/mtree/BSD.var

Thank you very much.  This worked to create the directory structure
but it did not create the default files in the structure.  Is there
some way to do that?

Thanks again,

Drew

P.S.  I apologize if this comes as HTML.  I'm not using my normal
mailer.  I think I've set it to plain text but you never know with M$
products.