Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:42:34 +0200
From:      Patrick Useldinger <pu@vo.lu>
To:        Grauwmans Steven <steven@grauwmans.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What's the big difference between Linux and Unix??

Grauwmans Steven wrote:
> Linux is UNIX, but why is Fedora Core a Linux and FreeBSD a UNIX?
> I searched on the internet for an answer, but after visiting 10 sites I
> gave up.
> If U could please help me, I'm getting confused.

Linux is a kernel. Fedora uses this kernel, and therefore is a Linux
*distribution*, such as many other (see http://www.distrowatch.com for
example). All distributions (note this term) which use this common
kernel are "Linux", so to say. All these distributions look and feel
like Unix, they are Unix clones.

FreeBSD does not use the Linux kernel, but has its own. FreeBSD is based
on one of the original Unices, namely BSD Unix. Therefore, it is Unix,
but not Linux.

HTH.

-PU