Date:      05 May 1999 09:03:13 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: Current state of the conventional wisdom?

[redirected to -stable rather than -questions]

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

> On Tuesday,  4 May 1999 at 15:17:34 -0700, Doug White wrote:
> > 1.  2.2.X -> 3.X upgrade doesn't handle a.out libraries, rendering a.out
> >     bins (netscape, built ports, etc.) useless until they're moved.
>
> It did for me.

I am pretty sure that this wasn't done until some time in January or
February.  Before the release of 3.1, though, for sure.

> > 2.  Sysinstall locks up during the second device probe.
>
> I haven't seen this.
>
> > 4.  Kernel panics mysteriously after device probe when devices are
> >     removed; unedited kernel boots normally.
>
> I haven't seen this.

I've seen both, and I've been trying to track them down.
Unfortunately, I see them on my very old home machine, and nowhere
else.  That machine has very little CPU, and very slow disks, so
experiments take a very long time (as a benchmark, note that a minimal
CD install from scratch would take an hour, even if it went smoothly).
The fact that I get complete lockups or spontaneous reboots a lot more
than I get kernel panics also slows down debugging.  When the system's
up and running, tasks will tend to die with bus errors (signal 10), so
I don't have full confidence in the hardware either (despite the fact
that it's still rock-solid under 2.2.2).

I hadn't actually been sure that disabling devices by configuration
was connected to failing to boot the kernel, but I'd kind of had that
impression.  The heisenbug nature of the failures I'm seeing makes it
hard to establish cause and effect.

Given that I'm sure I could make all these problems go away for a
couple of hundred dollars or so in new hardware, there's a limit to
how much time I'm willing to spend watching the screen display boot
messages.

Be well.
        Lowell