Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:56:20 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xfree86 Setup problem continued with changes

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 10:35:01PM -0700, chip wrote:
> Okay, I have X running in 640x480 or 320x240 modes.
> As you can see in the XFree86Config file below it is set
> to display at higher resolutions. I know the monitor will
> do it because the box dual-boots win2k and it runs the
> graphics at 1024x768/16bit.

> Section "Monitor"
>        #DisplaySize      260   200     # mm
>        Identifier   "Monitor0"
>        VendorName   "ADI"
>        ModelName    "741"
>        Option      "DPMS"
> EndSection

If you consult the documentation for your monitor you should find what
range of Horizontal Sync. and Vertical Refresh frequencies it can cope
with.  Insert those numbers in the monitor section above, eg:

    HorizSync    30.0-50.0
    VertRefresh  40-90

[Be sure to use the correct figures for your particular make of
monitor: it used to be the case that running a monitor at too high a
frequency would cause it to burn up.  Nowadays, the monitor will just
blank to protect itself, but still, too high a frequency is not good
for it.]

et. voila X will be able to run at the highest resolutions your
monitor will support, rather than the very conservative defaults it's
using now.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way