Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:18:38 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lo0 not starting on boot

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 12:49:53PM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 02:40:57PM -0600, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> > Yes, and I found it.  There was a second instance of network_interfaces=
=20
> > farther down in the /etc/rc.conf file.  It only listed the bge0 interfa=
ce,=20
> > and I'm certain it's being installed by a port.  I found the same probl=
em=20
>=20
> i had a similar problem earier when i tried to disable
> automatic configuration of the wired ethernet on my laptop
> and manually set network_interfaces to only list wi0.
> I wonder whether in the past lo0 was configured irrespective
> of the setting of network_interfaces, or i just remember
> badly...

It used to be hard coded.  Today we force it to the front of the list
in the network_interfaces=3Dauto case, but don't do anything special with
it in the other case.  We could change to code to always make it the
first item in all cases if it exists at all, but I'm not particularly
thrilled by that idea.  In general I don't recommend the use of
network_interfaces at all and I'm tempted to nuke it at some point in
the future.  It's not really necessicary any more becuse you can use the
NOAUTO keyword in your ifconfig_<ifn> lines if you want them around, but
don't want them used at boot.

-- Brooks

--=20

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw