Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 20:10:21 -0500
From:      Derek Inksetter <d.inksetter@saidev.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.6 panics on IDE/SCSI setup

I'm installing FreeBSD 2.2.6 on a Compaq Prolinea 5133.  It has a 1GB
IDE drive, and an Adaptec 2940u with a WD 4GB drive and an HP CD writer.
I have the SCSI drive split into two 2GB slices.

It seems that if I boot from the IDE drive, and mount partitions from
both SCSI slices, the kernel panics after the initial fsck, with "free:
multiple frees".

I tried installing onto just the IDE drive, installing on just the SCSI
drive (using both slices), and installing on the IDE drive and ignoring
either SCSI slice.  All of them seemed to work fine, with no noticable
problems.

I tried installing 2.2.5 and ran into the same problem, so it's
concievable that this is partly my hardware.

Anybody else running into this?

Derek

PS. I just tried setting it up again and had something else happen.
    It made it through the fsck, but the filesystems WEREN'T THERE!
    They showed up in df, but there was nothing at the mount point.
    Then, at shutdown, the same panic occurred.  Now, upon reboot, the
    kernel panics with "Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel
    mode".
--
Derek Inksetter <derek.inksetter@mchugh.com>
"It is easier to port a shell than a shell script." --Larry Wall