Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:43:52 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
Cc:        David Bein <bein@pyramid.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec/SCSI question ...

On Sun, Dec 12, 1999 at 11:27:58AM -0500, John wrote:

> I am *NOT* sure how to 2940U2W works for which ports you can use in which
> configurations, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, once again,
> you can't put the devices in a "Y" pattern.

AFAIR the 2940 doesn't have that internal SCSI bridge (AIC3660 chip) that
for example the Asus P2B-S motherboard has (you can build and use Y-a-like
configurations, for example, when using a mixture of 8-bit-wide and 16-bit-
wide connected SCSI devices (CD-ROM, hard disk, Tandberg SLR6) and LVD
devices, and it run's fine.

A collegue at work bought a 2930U2W about one or two weeks ago, this one as
Fast-SCSI internal and external connectors and an internal U2W connector,
nothing for UW. This configuration wasn't that much expensive and makes
sense, as newer disks are mainly U2W and you have often one or the other
Fast-SCSI device (CD-ROM, external Scanner, CD-R). And this adapter has
that AIC3660 SCSI bridge which should make it possible to use Y
configurations (devices on all three connectors), but we haven't used
that yet. That adapter is based on an 7890 chipset, AFAIR.

> room, or c) the device I want doesn't fit well internally.  I think that
> call is up to you. Oh... and internal cables are a HECK of a lot cheaper
> than external ones ;)

Another reason at work was the possibility to share devices (at times where
good CD-R's were expensive) or the impossibility to squeeze a scanner into
one of those usual PC cases :-)

Regards,

Martin
--
 /| /|        | /| /            ,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities,
/ |/ | artin  |/ |/ elk                     if you're knowing to take them,