Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 1995 08:18:13 +2:00
From:      "Tony Harverson" <harverso@aztec.co.za>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@iagi.net>
Subject:   Re: Boot off of sd0

> The problem I'm having is that I can't get the system (running
> 951005-snap of 2.1-stable) to boot off of sd0.  I think I may have
> screwed something up during the disklabel portion of the custom install.
> If I boot without a floppy in the drive, I get a
> "Missing Operating System" message from the BIOS (I assume its from the
> BIOS, anyway).  If I boot off of a boot floppy and enter "sd(0,a)/kernel"
> at the boot prompt, everything comes up beautifully.

I don't know if this will help at all, but I was having this problem
on a machine about 1/2 year ago running 2.0.5.  The install seemed to
be getting confused about the proper disklablelling.  I used the
advice in the faq about putting a small dos partition on there with
fdisk before starting and the problem went away when I next installed
( and nuked the icky dos partition ;)

Tony