Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:30:40 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jim Mock <mij@osdn.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, ben@cahostnet.com
Subject:   Re: Kernel config - which way?

Jim Mock <mij@osdn.com> types:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 at 17:30:54 -0500, Ben O. wrote:
> > OK, I upgraded my OS couple of days ago.  At that time I was using the
> > GENERIC kernel.  When I upgraded I used the method:
> >
> > # make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> > # make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> >
> > Then I installed a new kernel using the
> > /usr/sbin/config -g mykernel
> > make depend
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > Was this correct? Do I now need to use the first method again or I'm OK.
>
> Erm, no.  Those both do the same thing.  If you have a populated
> /usr/obj (i.e., you built world), the first will work.  If you don't
> have a populated /usr/obj, you're better off with the 2nd method.

The first should work without a populated /usr/obj - it falls back to
using the installed world. Not doing so is a bug. I know it was fixed
in -current, but I'm not sure about -stable.

Ben,

The only time you *have* to do the first method is after you've
updated your source tree, between doing "make buildworld" and "make
installworld". At all other times, they're pretty much identical and
you can do whichever you want.

	<mike